Who? What?

My photo
Los Angeles, California, United States
The International Martini Assassin!

Writer. Photographer. Journalist. Nightlife + Cocktail Guru. Bon Vivant. One man PR machine. Event Planner/Producer/Promoter. Lover. Fighter. Artist. Actor. Mixologist. Adventurer. Gambler. Patron of the Arts. Philanthropist. Marketing Genius. Man about town!
Former "almost famous" Rock Star.
Former "discovered" then unfilmed actor.
Infamous!

Posting adventures mostly from west of the Mississippi. The great Southwest, Vegas, Los Angeles & more! Living it up, getting around,sometimes reminiscing with my own unique perspective. Enjoying the finer things in life whenever possible. I work hard, so I play hard. Rock on!

Search This Blog

Friday, January 21, 2011

SAVE THE FILM INDUSTRY IN NEW MEXICO!


From Oneheadlightink.com, "State Address Pits Film Against Classroom"

Read the article- it's good! As you may also believe, Governor Martinez doesn't know what she's talking about (in my opinion) and should have an independent audit done (again!). Stop chasing away the money from New Mexico!

I encourage you to call 505-986-4550 to tell the NM Legislative Finance Committee to KEEP NM FILM! Or we will all pay the price!
OR
write emails to anyone involved! Starting with lfc@nmlegis.gov .

Here's mine, but I have provided a form letter for your use at the bottom of this blog.

The email I sent to the Vice-Chair of the NM Legislative Finance Committee:

"Dear Sir:
I come to you today to plead for your continuing support of film in New Mexico. Our state will begin a downward spiral in our relationship with the film industry if incentives are reduced.
As you must be aware, we are one of the poorest states in this country. We are only a step above Arkansas, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Mississippi according to the U.S. Census Bureau!
This program has brought hundreds of millions of dollars, over a billion by some estimates, to our state. Thousands of high paying jobs have been created. I personally know many students and unemployed people who work as extras even in film and television here. There are myths and arguments and then there is the reality that almost every life around me will be affected by the mass exodus of the film industry from our state. It has already begun based on rumors. We have lost several 2011 major productions the minute the new governor began to speak.
I personally was raised here, and once upon a time moved to Los Angeles for the entertainment industry. I came back and I have stayed here as I watched this beautiful flower bloom in the desert. Please don't let it die.
Do the right thing and encourage those around you to keep fighting for New Mexico. I thank you for your time. And on behalf of my thousands of fans I thank you for your help. Please feel free to distribute this email.

“Technically, New Mexico has a ‘refundable tax credit,’” -NM Film Office

"A steady activity of film and TV shoots is raising New Mexico’s profile in Hollywood as several films or TV series shot here racked up Oscar and Emmy awards." - Trip Jennings, The New Mexico Independent"

Oh, and here's the chair of the committee... who has no email.
Representative Luciano "Lucky" Varela - (D)
http://www.nmlegis.gov/lcs/legdetails.aspx?SPONCODE=HVARE

That's why I moved down the ladder to the Vice-Chair.
Senator John Arthur Smith - (D)
john.smith@nmlegis.gov

http://www.nmlegis.gov/lcs/legdetails.aspx?SPONCODE=SSMIT

And of course the Republican opponents:
http://www.ballotpedia.com/wiki/index.php/Dennis_Kintigh
http://www.ballotpedia.com/wiki/index.php/Janice_Arnold-Jones

FORM LETTER FOR YOUR USE (tweak as you see fit):

Dear Sir/Madam:

I come to you today to plead for your support of film in New Mexico.
Our state will begin a downward spiral in our relationship with the film industry if incentives are reduced.
As you must be aware, we are one of the poorest states in this country. We are only a step above Arkansas, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Mississippi according to the U.S. Census Bureau!
This program has brought hundreds of millions of dollars, over a billion by some estimates, to our state. Thousands of high paying jobs have been created. I personally know many students and unemployed people who work as extras even in film and television here.
There are myths and arguments and then there is the reality that many lives around me will be affected by the mass exodus of the film industry from our state. We have already lost several 2011 major productions as the new governor began to speak of reductions to the incentives. Please do the right thing and encourage those around you to keep fighting for New Mexico. I thank you for your time.

“Technically, New Mexico has a ‘refundable tax credit,’” -NM Film Office

"A steady activity of film and TV shoots is raising New Mexico’s profile in Hollywood as several films or TV series shot here racked up Oscar and Emmy awards." - The New Mexico Independent


Well my part in this is simple... helping my friends and neighbors! And as a returning actor this will also affect me in the near future. Being a voice in mass media it is my responsibility to bring attention to this important issue. If you think it doesn't affect you... you're wrong! Think about all the aspects of a production from food to property rental to lodging for instance. Oh yes... hundreds of millions of dollars freely flowing into our poor state for the last few years until now.

Watch this video of people just like you. I AM NM FILM

Write! Call! Step up to the plate and swing!

No comments: